Delapré Abbey, or more properly, the Abbey of St Mary de la Pré, the suffix meaning "in or of the Meadow", is a neo-classical mansion and outbuildings which incorporates remains of a former monastery in the meadows of the River Nene 1 mile (1.6 km) south south-east of Northampton. The latter institution was founded as a nunnery about the year 1145 devoted to the congregation of the great Abbey of Cluny in Burgundy, France. Its expansive sloping grounds are a nationally-protected Wars of the Roses battlefield, as a one-time site of the advance of the Yorkists during the Battle of Northampton (1460).
The museum in the park in Northampton is a beautiful Grade 1 listed building with a hammer beam roof in the Tudor hall. There is an intricate carved panelling and also an elegant 19thC fashion gallery. The museum allows you to take an in depth look at the work of the Northamptonshire Regiment and the Northamptonshire Yeomanry through two world wars. Abington Park Museum also reflects life as it was for Northampton people around one hundred years ago. The ground floor is fully accessible. Accessible toilets and nappy changing facilities on site. Parking available for free on the road through Abington Park. (NB the above is a stock image.)
Pitsford Water or Pitsford Reservoir is a 413 hectare reservoir and biological Site of Special Scientific Interest east of Brixworth in Northamptonshire. It is owned by Anglian Water, which manages it as a water park for walking, cycling, fishing, sailing and birdwatching. An area of 181 hectares north of the causeway which divides the reservoir is the Pitsford Water Nature Reserve, which is managed by the Wildlife Trust for Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire. The reservoir was built in 1956 to supply the town of Northampton, which is about 6 miles to the south. Holcot bridge was drowned when it filled and was replaced by a causeway a quarter mile further south. The water is the 34th largest in England and Wales, with a surface area of 2.85 square miles. The reservoir is near the village of Pitsford, from which it is named. It is also close to Brixworth village and Brixworth Country Park, with Holcot on its eastern side. Ecology